Tips on Successful Storage Packing | Movable Storage Containers
Tips on Successful Storage Packing
- Plan your storage space. Place those items that you may need to access often in the front. Allow for walkways.
- Make up an inventory of your items and keep it in a safe place at home or in a safe deposit box.
- CAUTION! Do not store anything COMBUSTIBLE (i.e., Paint thinner, gasoline, solvents, paint, etc.)
- Use uniform moving size boxes for easy stacking. Be sure your moving boxes are strong enough to hold 25-30 pounds. (It is best not to put too much in each moving box.)
- List contents of moving boxes on all four sides; number the moving boxes and seal with tape.
- Stack lighter moving boxes on top of heavier moving boxes.
- Dishes and glasses should be wrapped in paper and packed in sturdy moving boxes. Stack them on top.
- Pictures and mirrors should be wrapped in cardboard and marked “FRAGILE” and stacked on end.
- Furniture with drawers can be utilized as storage places for pictures, knick-knacks, china, silverware, small items, etc. Wrap them in tablecloths, towels or blankets to prevent breakage.
- Larger appliances make excellent “packaging cases” for blankets, towels, tablecloths and clothes.
- Shovels, hoes, rakes and hoses can be stored together in empty trash cans. Stack extra cans inside each other.
- Tables having removable legs should be broken down to save space.
- Sofas and love seats can be stored on end to save floor space.
- If you stand mattresses on their side, prop them up so they stand straight. They may tend to bend out of shape and become lumpy.
- Do not place heavy or sharp objects on top of upholstered furniture.
- Use a good quality lock on your door.
- Put TV’s and other electronics in the rear of your unit.